Graduation - Writing Related


Although it was less than a week ago, I barely remember anything of the three speaker's speeches. One was about how I didn't plagarize the speech so you shouldn't plagarize your life. Don't ask me what the others were about.


But as I sat, dripping in sweat, listening to speeches I wouldn't remember, I thought about how that related to books and writing.


How many books have I read that I couldn't remember the title or the plot? They weren't memorable. It doesn't mean they weren't good; it just means that they didn't have something to capture my mind and put some tidbit into my long term memory.

Harry Potter for example - I will always remember the scene where Sirius dies in the book. Maybe because of the imagery, maybe because I love the book and Sirius the character. (I named a fish after him, after all.)


I think it's every author's dream that their books will be remembered forever. And it presents a challenge. How do you do that?


Personally, I think you do it with emotions and imagery. What do you think?

posted under |

1 comments:

Brittany said...

When I remember a book, it's because of emotion or a great concept or sometimes an amazing character that I can't forget. Harry Potter was all three for me. I remember the Ink Trilogy (actually, I own them) because of the great concept and characters.

The Hunger Games is my favorite book, and when I think of it, I think of the emotions I felt while reading it. It's written in first person POV (present tense), and Suzanne Collins makes you feel like everything's really happening to you, and you feel the same emotions that Katniss does.

I haven't really thought about this for my writing yet, but I think you can do it with great characters and emotions. Plot can sometimes be harder to remember, and a great concept still needs characters.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers